Saturday, January 10, 2009

My theme for 2009: "The Glass IS Half Full!"

Each year I have tried to come up with a "theme" or "mantra" for the year. 2008 was "Because Nice Matters". My daughter Cari made me a beautiful plaque with "Because Nice Matters" written on it. I have it proudly displayed in my sewing room, by my computer and I have honestly tried to be nice this year. It's not that I'm intentionally annoying or demanding or short tempered or insensitive or generally "not nice" but its seems as though I don't always "think before I speak or act" and that's what gets me into trouble. I tried my best to make a postive change in 2008. As I move on to a new theme for 2009, it doesn't mean that I'm finished being nice because that was an "old 2008 goal" ...I do plan to move on to my new "mantra"...but I still plan to be nice :-)

2009 brings a new "theme" to my year. "The glass IS half full." I have always been a "half empty kind of person". I know - how depressing. I did have a method to my madness, however. I felt that if I expected the worst, and ANYTHING less than the worst occurred, I wouldn't be disappointed. In fact - I found I could even find joy in most outcomes that didn't meet my negative expectations. Well - the anxiety, high blood pressure, insomnia, etc. that accompanies a doom and gloom attitude just isn't worth it. I have a wonderful husband and family, a GREAT "job" with Project Linus, tremendous friends and a strong faith. How could that glass possibly be half empty?

So, as 2009 begins with our 10th birthday celebration I want to let each of you know how much Cheryl and I appreciate you. As we prepare for Make a Blanket Day on February 28th and our Boo-Boo Kids display on the 27th and 28th I am simply overwhelmed by your kindness, generosity and giving spirits. Thank you for pre-registering. How exciting to have so many of our volunteers gather together and spend an entire day making blankets and socializing! Thank you for offering to help with Boo-Boo Kids set-up on Thursday evening, MABD set-up on Friday evening and MABD clean-up on Saturday. Thank you! At our first MABD at the mall in February of 2002, my husband Terry and I set up the event in an ice storm, all by ourselves. We were at the mall until almost 1am - and then back at 7am to finish. The next year, we decided to ask for help - and you responded to our call. Every year since, many of you have come to our rescue! We couldn't do it without you!

I want to remind you that Carol (our National President) will be hosting our luncheon as well as filling orders for the charms you earned for your bracelets. (THANK YOU CAROL!!!) Please bring a dish to pass (salad, snack or dessert) and we will provide the paper products, chicken and bottled water - along with a few other goodies. Don't forget to bring your charm bracelet with you if you would like Carol to attach the charms for you. We have an adorable "birthday balloons" charm for our 10th Anniversary Make a Blanket Day!

As I finish up my message for today, it just makes me realize that my glass isn't half full - it's OVERFLOWING!!! Maybe I need to change my theme to "The Glass is OVERFLOWING!"

Happy Blanketmaking!
Mary