Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

It's hard to believe that it's already January 1st! Next to Christmas and my birthday month (I celebrate the ENTIRE month of October) New Year's day is one of my favorite days of the year. I love being able to start fresh and set some goals for myself. I've learned that my goals need to be realistic or they just don't work for me - whether it be personal goals or Project Linus goals.
Here are my two REALISTIC 2009 New Year's Resolutions for Project Linus:

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify: As everyone will tell you, I tend to come up with an idea and then expand on it to the point that it takes every waking moment and every available person to carry it out. It's not intentional - it just happens. For example - we had an idea where we would be displaying blanket requests on an "angel tree" at Make a Blanket Day inviting blanketeers to make blankets for the children of the women at the Women's Correctional Facility. We figured we'd need about 40-50 blankets but when all was said and done, it turned into a major project of 778 blankets. Wow! We did it - with the help of each of you - but it was a bit more than we bargained for. We're still recovering! :-) I'll try my best to make things as simple as possible without compromising quality and fun when it comes to our events. So, this year at Make a Blanket Day we will have pre-registration but I will not be making personalized nametags and door prize tickets. We'll still have door prizes and nametags but there will be generic packets with blank tickets in the packets and attendees will need to write their own names on their nametags and door prize tickets. You have to start somewhere, right?

Ask and accept help as needed: I have always been reluctant to ask for help simply because each of you donate so much of your time and energy by making blankets and I feel guilty asking you to do more. But, many of you have reprimanded me for NOT asking for help. So, I'll make a deal with each of you. I'll ask for help as needed and if you're able to help - you'll say yes. If you're not able to help - you'll say no. Agreed?

IMPORTANT NEWS: The date for our February Make a Blanket Day has changed. It will be held on Saturday, February 28th from 9am - 3:00pm. We will have the Boo-Boo Kids quilts displayed Friday and Saturday. If you can help by working a 2 hour shift selling tickets at the mall on either Friday or Saturday we would be very grateful. We always have a VERY difficult time getting volunteers to help in this area - and it's really a very easy job. You simply sit at a table and encourage people to vote for their favorite Boo-Boo Kids quilt for $1.00 per vote. You can even bring a project to work on or a book to read while you're there! Details on how to help and pre-registration will be forthcoming in our newsletter. Let Cheryl or me know if you can help. Please pass this information along to anyone you know without e-mail.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PROJECT LINUS CENTRAL IL: In January of 1999 our chapter of Project Linus was officially organized. Happy Birthday to us! What a great 10 years it has been. I want each of you to know what a privilege and a pleasure it is to work with each of you. It takes a very special group of caring individuals who would give so much of their time and personal resources in order to touch the lives of some very special children going through a rough time. Thank you! My life has been so enriched simply by our friendship and I am so grateful that our paths continue to cross as we serve side by side.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope your 2009 is blessed with good health, prosperity and all the time you need to do what you love to do!

Happy Blanketmaking!
Mary