Sunday, June 28, 2009

What's our secret?

As of June 21, 2009 it's officially summer and we just completed our National Project Linus Institute in Bloomington IL. What an amazing weekend! We had Project Linus Chapter Coordinators and their assistants attend from across the country for 4 days of instruction, inspiration and fellowship. It is always amazing to me to be a part of the excitement as we gather together to share our passion for Project Linus.

When I am speaking or answering questions in a break-out session, I often share information about our local chapter and volunteers with our national audience. In addition, our attendees actually have been able to meet some of our chapter volunteers at our Expo on Thursday. During Institute, I enjoy relating stories of the tremendous volunteer spirit in our Central IL chapter. On many occasions I have coordinators tell me how impressed they are with our Central IL volunteers and ask me what our secret is. From my perspective, I see each of us with the same desire to serve others, standing side by side - anxious and able to respond to a need when it arises. But I know that it's more than that. Is it the friendships we have created as a result of our dedication to Project Linus? Is it because Project Linus gives us a reason to get behind a sewing machine or pick up our knittning needles/crochet hooks or rotary cutters? Is it because we feel the need to serve others and Project Linus fills that need? What is it?

So - I would like to know what it is that keeps you coming to our Make a Blanket Days, our Appreciation Breakfasts, participating in our special projects such as Camp Coco or TAPS, helping out at conference or just making blankets? Why do you do it? Please leave a comment by e-mailing me. Let me know what keeps you interested and motivated so that I can pass that information along to our chapters?

I know my posting is short. I'm exhausted and ready for my post-conference (institute) nap.

Have a wonderful week and happy blanketmaking!

Mary