Friday, May 8, 2009

Dreams do come true!

When I was in grade school, one of my dreams was to purchase a sewing machine. My grandmother had a beautiful sewing machine in a brown wooden cabinet and on one occasion she opened it up and let me look at it. That’s all it took - I knew that I wanted my own. I had a paper route and although I didn’t make much money, I knew that if I saved every penny I made, I could eventually purchase my very own sewing machine. When I had saved $100 I visited the local Bernina dealer - ready to make a purchase. I very quickly learned that I couldn’t even afford the foot pedal of a Bernina. In fact, the cheapest machine they had was a used Kenmore sewing machine in a cabinet for $150.00 and I was still $50.00 short. I was devastated. I talked to my grandmother about it, and she agreed to advance me the additional money I needed to purchase the machine. It was blue and it was BEAUTIFUL and I was ready to make something. My mom, on the other hand, thought that sewing was a waste of time and money, and refused to let me waste my time or my money on my new found hobby. That didn’t stop me. At night, when everyone was either watching TV or sleeping, I would quietly retreat to my bedroom and secretly practice my sewing. (Yep - I was a rebellious, out-of-control teen - that's for sure!) I was sure that I could finish a project, present it to my Mom, and she would applaud my hidden talent and encourage me to make more! But, realistically speaking, most (in fact all) of my secret sewing projects didn't quite come out the way I had hoped. Why? I needed to take sewing lessons. Convincing my mom was not easy, but eventually she relented and allowed me to take a summer school sewing class at the local junior high school where I made a simple blue dress. In the end, somehow one armhole came out smaller than the other and the finished dress was a disaster that I never wore. I almost accepted the fact that Mom was right - sewing was indeed a waste of time and a waste of money.

When I became interested in quilting, it wasn’t as popular as it is today – in fact it wasn’t popular at all. My quilting curiosity was born when I came across a book with black and white pictures of quilts – no instructions on how to make one – just pictures and historical descriptions. I thought they were just beautiful and wanted to give quilting a try. I bought the book and planned my quilt. With 3 pieces of fabric I was ready to create my masterpiece. I cut the fabric into hundreds of little pieces – squares, triangles, rectangles – not even realizing that I needed to have a seam allowance added to each piece in order to sew them together. When I tried to sew the first two pieces together my sewing machine literally devoured the tiny pieces and hid them somewhere under the throat plate. I was so discouraged and so disappointed. I packed up all my fabric shapes and put them in a shoe box. I hid the box in my closet and decided to give up quilting “for a time”.


Then, in the late 70’s I bought a Good Housekeeping Magazine that had a log cabin quilt on the front of it, with “quilt as you go” instructions. EUREKA!!! It was at that moment that I knew I could make a quilt. My confidence was restored and I approached quilting with a new vigor! The Good Housekeeping instructions were very easy to follow and I made 2 twin sized log cabin quilts out of red, blue, green and yellow calico fabrics, with a solid red backing. I thought they were BEAUTIFUL and I gave them to my mom. She loved them and used them for years until they literally fell apart.

Since then, I have made quilts for my children, my relatives, my friends; for raffles, for auctions, for contests and now for Project Linus. I’ve had many, many sewing machines since my first Kenmore, including a Bernina! I have a treadle machine, a Featherweight, an embroidery machine, a Janome that automatically cuts the thread and my dream of all dreams - a long arm machine! It’s my philosophy that you just can’t have too many sewing machines.

My mom is now very supportive of my quilting. Since I REALLY never was a rebellious child or teenager – she says that the fact that she did all she could to discourage me from sewing is what led to my obsession with quilting! I agree and give her full credit! I also thank her from the bottom of my heart! I have found a hobby that takes me to a very special place each time I sit down at my machine. Quilting gives me a way to offer comfort to those in need, a way to express myself and a way to let my family and friends know how much I love them. How many hobbies can cover that many bases?

On this Mother’s Day, I am reminded that I have the most wonderful mom in the whole world, the best children and sons-in-law and grandchildren anyone could ask for, as well as a loving husband who literally supports me and all that comes with my “quilting habit”. This special day dedicated to mothers reminds me that I am blessed in more ways than I can count. I love each one of them with all my heart. Because of each of them, my dreams have come true! It just doesn’t get any better than that!


Happy Blanketmaking!
Mary