Saturday, March 14, 2009

Springing Forward

I just love Groundhog Day. (I love the movie with Bill Murray as well.) Each year I wait to hear the report from Punksatawny Phil as to whether or not we will have six more weeks of winter. Although I really KNOW in my heart that spring is six long weeks away, I'm always a little disappointed when it's confirmed that he did indeed see his shadow. I look forward to spotting my first robin and seeing the buds on the trees turn into actual leaves. I love to see the tulips and daffodils sprouting and the grass turning green. When the magnolia trees blossom, I just can't get enough of them! As March 20th gets closer, a few warm days intermingled with the cold days gives me the reassurance I need that Spring WILL arrive and winter WILL end.

Several years ago, when we were well into March, I was just too busy to notice those tell-tale signs of Spring. I had a million and one things going on in my life (not that that's anything new) and in the process of accomplishing everything on my "to do" list, I never saw any buds on the trees, magnolia blossoms or my first robin. I didn't even know if we had six more weeks of winter because I forgot to read Punksatawny Phil's report back in February. I was so caught up in the busy-ness of my "to do" list that I missed every single thing that announced Spring had arrived. Here's the worst part: My wake-up call came as I was driving down the road and I noticed my first robin of the season - squashed dead on the street. Isn't that just awful (and kind of disturbing)? It made me sad that my first robin of the year was a dead robin and what was even worse was when I looked up from the road I noticed that all the trees had leaves on them, the magnolia blossoms had already fallen off the trees and were covering the grass - and I never even noticed. Good grief! I'll never forget that day because that was the moment I vowed to never again be so unobservant and caught up in every day tasks that I would miss these once-a-year displays of rebirth and renewal.

This week has been a wonderful week. My daughters Cari and Rachel and their families are visiting. Terry and I have enjoyed family meals together, playing with the grandkids, taking pictures, shopping, singing, visiting, etc. and it has been heavenly! Our regular routines and schedules stop when the family gathers...and that's a good thing! Since we don't live close to our children and grandchildren we try to enjoy every precious minute together. It's been so much fun! So, I tried to think of a subtle way to show off my adorable grandchildren while relating it to our Project Linus BLOG! :-) Of course, with 500+ Make a Blanket Day blankets stacked halfway to the ceiling in my hallway I had the perfect answer! This setting offered us many family photo opportunities that I would like to share with you. If you click on the slide show below see if you can find Logan, Tyler, Katie, Lucy and Gracie "hidden" on and in "Blanket Mountain"! (If you run your mouse over the picture, it will stop and tell you who you see.) Don't be concerned - The blankets are all bagged, protected and tagged for delivery and are actually stacked rather neatly in the hallway - it just doesn't look like it from the pictures! :-)



There are too many occasions when we miss out on the important things in life, simply because we're just too busy to notice. Our lives are full, our schedules are packed, the demands on our time are more than plentiful and there just aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish everything. So what do we leave out? Or...better yet -what do we leave in?

Let's select something special that we each plan to do this week...and leave it in our schedule, no matter what! I think I'll work on a quilt top for two special friends (Does that surprise you?) and when I look out my sewing room window, I'll keep watching for leaves on the trees and my neighbor's daffodils. I already saw my first robin (it was alive) and I will be watching for more!

Have a wonderful week and Happy Blanketmaking!

Mary