Saturday, February 14, 2009

"All You Need Is Love...

...But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!"
Charles Schulz


Terry and I exchanged Valentine cards this morning and we gave each other nearly identical cards! I guess after 34 years of dating and 30 years of marriage - we really have become a lot alike! I love that - and I love him! I also had my absolutely delicious chocolate protein bar this morning as well...Clif 20g Chocolate Mint Builder's Bar...which is to say that I truly do have it all...love AND chocolate! :-)

I'm thrilled to report that we have 155 people pre-registered for Make a Blanket Day!!!! WOO HOO!!! If you haven't done so, please make sure that you pre-register. We want to make sure everyone gets a seat and enough to eat! (However, enough food has never been a problem at our MABDs thanks to Carol and Jane!) Also, don't forget to bring a Project Linus project to work on and a dish to pass or snack to share. When you enter the mall (the entrance near Bergner's) there is a store on your left - it used to be a bank - that we have been given permission to use for our "dining area". Food can be dropped off there when you arrive. It's going to be a fantastic day filled with fun, fellowship and the opportunity to serve some special children and families in our Central IL area!


Great News! We have a FINAL answer on Project Linus and the CPSIA. On February 9, 2009, CPSC staff issued a document called Guidance on the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) for Small Businesses, Resellers, Crafters and Charities and If you would like to read the text here's the link: http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/smbus/cpsiasbguide.html

Briefly, a portion of Question #13 in particular applies to Project Linus:

Q. “Can I donate the children’s products that I make to local charities and hospitals?
A. Yes, you can make and donate children’s products to local charities and hospitals, if they are made of exempted materials or materials that you feel confident do not contain lead (see Table B). Children’s products made of yarn, dyed or undyed fabrics and natural materials such as untreated wood or cotton do not contain lead at levels sufficient to exceed the new lead limits.
Also, on page 7 you will find a list of exempted materials, including:* Yarn, dyed or undyed * Dyed or undyed textiles (cotton, wool, hemp, nylon, etc.), including children’s fabric products, such as baby blankets, and non‐metallic thread and trim. This does not include products that have rhinestones or other ornaments that may contain lead or that have fasteners with possible lead content (such as buttons, metal snaps, zippers or grommets).
So, we have been given the green light to continue making blankets as usual. Thank you for the letters, e-mails etc. that were sent to our representatives. We do have a voice!


In our National "Blanket Beacon" newsletter, we have a section we call "Love Notes". Since this is Valentine's Day, I would like to share a love note that we received, addressed to each of you:

Dear Project Linus,

My name is Katie and I am 15 years old. I received a Project Linus blanket while in the hospital this past summer. Even though I am old enough were I don't need a blankey anymore your balnket gave me lots of confort and much needed warmth. I now sleep with it everynight, and when my friends ask I am proud and grateful to say that it came from Project Linus. I am hoping to make a blanket soon to give back to the kids who are now feeling as bad as I once did. Thank you so much!

So, I think I need to add to Charles Schulz's quote: "All You Need is Love...but a little chocolate and a blanket now and then doesn't hurt!"

Happy Valentine's Day! I hope that you all take a minute to wrap your favorite blanket around you and "feel the love".

Happy Blanketmaking!
Mary